Tunisian crochet name change

This post has 3 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Mar 31, 2011 9:18 AM

I am just curious about when the Afghan stitch became Tunisian crochet.  Or are there just so many stitches available with this technique that it needed a new name to distinguish it from the basic Afghan stitch?  When did that happen?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 35
jroberts123 wrote
on Mar 31, 2011 12:17 PM

I have always seen them used together, as if they were the same stich by different names.   Crochetcabana.com gave the most comprehensive list I could find...and I still couldn't find a historical date for any of these, but I thought it was very interesting.   What's funny is that I was looking for uses for double-ended hooks when I found all the tunisian-afghan references and to me the  "crochet on the double" using double-ended hooks could be added to this list.

From crochetcabana.com

This stitch goes by many names. It can be called Tunisian Crochet, Afghan Stitch, Tricot Crochet or Tricot Ecossaise, which means Scottish knitting, Tricotee, Crochet a Tricoter, Crochet a la Tricoter, Scot’s Knitting, Scotch Knitting, Shepherd's Knitting, Hook Knitting, Fool’s Knitting, Idiot’s Knitting, Royal Princess Stitch, Russian Crochet, Railroad Knitting or Railway Knitting, {Working Class girls in England waiting for the train to take them to the mills did Tunisian}.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
glendas97401 wrote
on Nov 18, 2013 2:22 PM

I realized you posted this a while ago, but did you ever get an answer from anyone.  I have also wondered and I have been crocheting for 50 years, but it was always afghan stitch not Tunisian.

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 12
KimG@4 wrote
on Nov 19, 2013 9:11 PM

I have a blog post about this:

http://kimguzman.com/blog/why-is-afghan-stitch-called-tunisian-crochet/

Kim

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS