The Official Dahlia Shawl Crochet-along

This post has 43 Replies | 15 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 200
on Jun 7, 2011 7:01 PM

Okay, I changed to a hook size 4.5mm, 11 rows done.

If you don't challenge yourself, you don't grow.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
clarec1 wrote
on Jun 9, 2011 10:21 AM

I am so excited to get started on this.  Been waiting to have the time to do the Dahlia Shawl - and finally the perfect yarn has come into the shop - Madeline Tosh Prairie.  I just have to get one or 2 more things out of the way and then I can start.

clare

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 128
Sarah Read wrote
on Jun 9, 2011 11:14 AM

Hello fellow shawl makers!

I finished my first shawl on Tuesday and have a post of the blocking process up on my blog now
I also started the next one right away, so I can work along with you all. Or maybe because I can't stop making shawls for even five minutes. 
Have you guys started stitching? 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 128
Sarah Read wrote
on Jun 9, 2011 11:16 AM

Artfully Done, that is looking gorgeous!! I LOVE the color. That is going to be one stunning piece of stitchery! 

Not Ranked
Posts 2
jlbuckman2 wrote
on Jun 9, 2011 6:23 PM

Hello, everyone!

So, I've started my shawl.  I'm using Classic Elite Yarns Silky Alpaca Lace in a soft rose color.  I've finished the gauge (rows 1-5) with size G / 4.25mm hook, but my gauge is not exactly right.  I'm at 4.5 inches wide instead of the required 4.25 inches and 2.5 inches tall instead of 2 inches; but the side of my triangle exactly fits the 3 inch requirement.

Do you think I should redo with a smaller hook?  I admit - I'm not really used to using lace weight yarn (it's so tiny, it's almost like I'm doing thread crochet!) and I'm finding it a bit difficult to keep my tension even.  Any advice?

Also - Sarah, I read your post on blocking this shawl.  I've never blocked anything before, I'm not even sure what materials I need.  Do you have any links or helpful websites that go through the entire process for a total beginner?  Thanks!

I really do like how the pattern is shaping up so far, I think this is going to be a lovely shawl to work on.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Marmc wrote
on Jun 10, 2011 10:44 AM

How do I join a forum?  I have looked but I can't find instructions.  I would like to join the dahlia shawl forum.  Please be a friend and help me.

markar54@gmail.com

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Marmc wrote
on Jun 10, 2011 11:08 AM

Thanks for the help.  Is the size G hook correct, it seems large for the size of yarn (lace Wt)?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Jun 12, 2011 7:11 PM

I am just getting back from vacation and so have just gotten my materials.  I have knit lace shawls before but never crochet.  Let's see how it goes!!!!

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 128
Sarah Read wrote
on Jun 13, 2011 2:40 PM

Hi jlbuckman2!

I think your gauge sounds pretty close, and since this isn't a fitted garment, I bet you're just fine. If you lay your work down and stretch it out gently, you can get an idea of what the finished lace will look like. If it looks good to you, then you can just keep going!

It does take a little while to get used to working with a lace weight at first. But the results are worth the wait! I bet you will find your tension after your hands adjust. In the meantime,  try to remember to keep your hands relaxed while you stitch, and take breaks to stretch. If you can, (I never follow this rule), try to work on the project in the same place every day. If your elbows are resting on the table while you work one day, and hanging at your sides another, that can change your tension (and your gauge) quite  a bit.

As far as blocking goes, I have an older blog post that has a little more detail on the mechanics of blocking. And here is the designer of the shawl, Lisa Naskrent's blog on how she blocked it. We used different methods, but either will work for this shawl. Since you have silk in your yarn, I would recommend not soaking it for long if you choose that method. Silk can start to smell funny if it soaks for too long. You will also find that alpaca reeeeeally stretches when you block it. So you might want to make your shawl a bit smaller than the pattern calls for. I'd suggest stopping at 17" or 18" instead of 20" or 21". 

I hope that helps a bit! I'm very glad you're enjoying the pattern! :) 

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 128
Sarah Read wrote
on Jun 13, 2011 2:45 PM

Hi Marmc!

Yes, the larger hook adds to the lacy effect of the fabric. It keeps the stitches nice and loose so that they open up when the piece is blocked.
We're glad you've joined us! Enjoy your project! 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Derby wrote
on Jun 13, 2011 8:52 PM

Hi!  Please count me in on this CAL!  My son is getting married in March and I want to make this to wear at his wedding.  It is so beautiful!

Marlene

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Marmc wrote
on Jun 14, 2011 5:00 PM

Thanks for the information.  I will start this one (or More) time. I really like this and really want to have this shawl.  Marilyn

Not Ranked
Posts 6
nvscrapper wrote
on Jun 15, 2011 7:30 AM

I have purchased my yarn, Classic Elite Yarns Silky Alpaca Lace in Genetian Violet.When I did the first 5 rows, I found using the 4.25 hook almost an inch and a quarter too small from corner to corner, I changed to a 4.50 and it was 4 inches corner to corner, I thought that would be okay as it wasn't a fitted garment.

I am almost finished my 5th repeat of the pattern, I work full time so having to squeeze it between the work time. I have actually gotten 2 orders for me to make this shawl for people, one for a wedding and one for a co-worker. I told them to wait and see how mine turns out and once I have blocked it (which I am scared to death to do).

Marlie

Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Jun 15, 2011 12:02 PM

I'm loving this pattern.  It really is great to do while waiting or while the kids are around.  The only thing I've noticed is that I need to write down what row I'm on (or what row to start with next time I pick it up).  The rows look the same after a while and its hard to tell where I left off sometimes.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 200
on Jun 15, 2011 1:54 PM

I made a copy of Rows 7 - 10 and left myself enough room to put a small post-it next to rows.  I then draw a vertical line next to row every time I start a new row.   I end up with 4 vertical rows and for the 5th row I draw a line kitty corner through the 4 vertical lines.

I also make sure to start a new row even when I'm finished for the day so I know where I am.

Hope that is understandable.

It is easy to work overall but I find it a little ungainly to work this size hook with this type of yarn.  I want to go a  hook size or so smaller.

If you don't challenge yourself, you don't grow.

Page 2 of 3 (44 items) < Previous  1 2 3  Next > | RSS