Seaside Espadrilles

This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 1
on May 31, 2011 6:59 AM

Has anyone made the crocheted Seaside Espadrilles?  I would like to know if there is a substitute yarn for the silk yarn used in this pattern.  Thanks!

Barbara

Not Ranked
Posts 1
madamedu wrote
on Mar 11, 2015 9:17 AM

Someone may have given you an answer to this already but I found it and decided to answer just in case no no has told you. Most Silk is Worsted Weight so any Worsted Weight size should work. I would not chose Acrylic, (maybe Wool) it will not hold up if these sandals are going to be a lot. The jute will rub through any Normal Yarn and break it sooner. If I were making these I would use a colored jute and line the inside of the sandals with soft cotton or other quick drying material like thin terry cloth. (have any old towels or wash cloths that are now old rags?) It can be glued in with a water resistant glue if you do not sew.

I think the original author used silk because she was trying to soften these up alittle, add color and silk is one of the strongest lasting yarns. It still will not hold up to the wear and tear that jute will put on it. I have seen jute wear through plastic rings on macrame hangers while swinging in the wind. That is why we always use metal rings for hangers. 

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS