The Official Owlivia and Little Livvie Crochet-Along

This post has 6 Replies | 4 Followers
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 100
on Jun 24, 2011 11:51 AM

Okay folks, are you ready for the cutest crochet-along EVER?!?

Join me in stitching the first official Crochet Me amigurumi CAL, Owlivia and Little Livvie from our latest issue, Interweave Crochet Summer 2011. This is a great beginner crochet project. If you’re a veteran or new to thread work, you can challenge yourself with Little Livvie.  If you have been knee-deep in garment projects like I have been these last few months these amigurumi are a perfect break; a way to give you a sense of accomplishment, with a side of cuteness! It’s also the perfect portable summer project, easily thrown in a tote bag and taken poolside or to a café table somewhere while you enjoy the sunshine.

The timeline is almost a month long, which should give us plenty of time to pick this project up and put it back down (after all, those WIP’s aren’t going to crochet themselves J). Or if we’re really ambitious we can work ahead and make a whole flock of owls! Here’s a rundown:

Schedule:

6/24-6/30 Get pattern, yarn, and notions.
7/1-7/7 Work body.
7/8-7/14 Shape back and tail, make face.
7/15-7/21 Make beak, wings and feet. Finish!

And the specifics: 

Owlivia & Little Livvie

Designer: Brenda K. B. Anderson
Finished Size:
Little Livvie stands 2" tall. Owlivia stands 4½" tall.
Yarn:
For Little Livvie: Aunt Lydia’s Classic Crochet Thread size 10 (100% mercerized cotton; 350 yd [320 m]/3 oz [85 g]): #0131 fudge brown (MC); #0431 pumpkin (CC1); #0420 cream (CC2); 1 ball each.
For Owlivia: Red Heart Soft Yarn (100% acrylic; 256 yd [234 m]/5 oz [140 g]): #9344 chocolate (MC); #4422 tangerine (CC1); #9114 honey (CC2); 1 ball each. Yarns distributed by Coats & Clark.
Hook:
For Little Livvie: size 9 (1.4 mm) steel hook; for Owlivia: size G/6 (4 mm) standard hook. Adjust hook size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.
Notions:
For Little Livvie: Polyester fiberfill; embroidery needle; size 8 mm slit pupil safety eyes, sew-on style. Note: The washers on most safety eyes are too big to fit behind Little Livvie’s face. The stem of the eye has a hole in it for sewing; stitch marker (m; optional).
For Owlivia: Polyester fiberfill; yarn needle; size 15 mm slit pupil safety eyes; stitch marker (m; optional).
Gauge:
For Little Livvie: Rnds 1–6 of body = 1¼" diameter. For Owlivia: Rnds 1–6 of body = 2½" diameter.

If you need a copy of the pattern, you can pick up a copy of the magazine here. Join the discussion in the forums for tips and tricks, or just to talk about how adorable your owls are becoming.  I’m only just finished with the body of my first Little Livvie, and all of us can’t help but go “Squee!’’ with delight at how cute it is!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Limajomo wrote
on Jun 25, 2011 7:43 PM

oh poo... I just ordered my subscription online, cause this little owl is just so stinkin cute and I seriously can hardly wait to make him, but it said that it would start with the Summer 2011 issue and be mailed July 15. So now I don't want to go buy the Summer issue and yet I'll get it too late for the crochet along! Dang.

Oh but its SO super cute!!! Squee!!!

Lisa :)

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 32
Yarnville wrote
on Jun 30, 2011 4:41 PM

I'm so excited to see everybody's interpretations of this pattern!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
maggyruth wrote
on Jul 4, 2011 7:48 PM

I have a new niece and when I saw this pattern, I decided that I would crochet one for her every year for her birthday and Christmas. I plan on using all different colors so that she'll have a rainbow parliament. I already have the safety eyes...

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 100
on Jul 5, 2011 3:40 PM

I'm so excited to see the different colorways, too! In the published pattern the lovely designer, Brenda K.B. Anderson, suggests going crazy with colors; which is perfect if you have bits and bobs of crazy shades (hint: this means me).  Can't wait to see pictures!

I LOVE the idea of making this for children.  My first owl is going to my nephew.  Who are you all making them for?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 100
on Aug 5, 2011 2:12 PM

Yay! Finished Ami!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
mrdees wrote
on Mar 5, 2012 2:35 PM

Oh but its SO super cute!!! Squee!!!

|metformin 250 alcohol metformin 1000 mg metformin generic metformin.
Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS