How to line a single crochet baby blanket? Any suggestions please?

This post has 7 Replies | 3 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 10
Debaggis wrote
on Sep 12, 2011 7:13 PM

Hi
I have made a single crochet baby blanket which is woven closely but to give it a more finished look I would like to line it. What sort of material would you suggest as in would one way stretch knit be best. I know that it is better to wash both the blanket and lining material before attaching the lining but other than that any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 8
jayadevi wrote
on Sep 20, 2011 4:44 AM

Hi there!

My sewing background would suggest that you either line it with a soft Jersey ( t- shirt material ), or a really soft flannelette. It would really depend on if you needed heaps of stretch. If it were me I would go for a cotton flannelette as it's less likely to irritate a baby's skin than Jersey or polar fleece, ( which was the other thing I thought about).

I would then do a fully turned hem on the lining of about an inch, and then attach it to the blanket... and yes, I would definitely wash both first.

What's the yarn you used for the ''banky''? That would probably influence me as to the preferred lining.

I hope that helps!

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Debaggis wrote
on Sep 20, 2011 4:49 AM

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply. I used 8 ply wool for the blanky............I wasn't sure whether to crochet the lining in with single crochet or sew it with a darning needle.

Not Ranked
Posts 8
jayadevi wrote
on Sep 20, 2011 5:10 AM

I'd certainly try to single crochet the lining on... if you sew it in it will take ages and then you've got the chance that little fingers will get in under the stitches unless you do them tight and small. My personal preference would be to use a slightly loose woven and light flannelette, and use a bodkin to go through the hem to make holes to crochet through. If that makes sense? You should be able to nudge out enough of a hole with the bodkin, without having to break any threads in the material.

Does that help? Hope it works out for you

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Debaggis wrote
on Sep 20, 2011 5:25 AM

Thats a huge help. Thank you very much. I will let you know how I go. Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 8
jayadevi wrote
on Sep 20, 2011 5:31 AM

No worries! Yes, do let me know how you go.

Happy creating!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Sep 24, 2011 7:55 AM

I like the idea of cotten Jersey material for a baby blanket.

Not Ranked
Posts 10
Debaggis wrote
on Sep 24, 2011 5:50 PM

Yes I agree that would be the best. Thanks!!

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS