The Official Betty's Tunisian Tee Crochet-along

This post has 63 Replies | 24 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 9
on Oct 11, 2011 1:20 PM

Try blocking your swatch and then measure again.  I got the gauge with a 5mm hook after blocking.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
on Oct 11, 2011 1:27 PM

This is where I am.  I think you tks into the first full stitch from the hook, not the stitch immediately next to the hook.  This is what I did anyway.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
vickilyn121 wrote
on Oct 11, 2011 3:59 PM

yea me too,can anubody tell me what i do,better show me. i have been crocheting for over 30 years and this is the first time im ready to just burn the whole pattern

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,108
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Oct 11, 2011 4:04 PM

I have photographs of exactly where to put the stitches. I will try to get everything sized and put up this evening. There's a bit of a trick to it, but once you figure it out it is pretty easy.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,108
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Oct 11, 2011 4:57 PM

I just posted a blog with step-out photographs of how to work the base triangle rows. You can click on the photographs and make them bigger for more detail. I hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Toni

Not Ranked
Posts 2
vickilyn121 wrote
on Oct 12, 2011 5:07 PM

How many stitches are in row 2? where does row 3 start

Not Ranked
Posts 3
chermite wrote
on Oct 12, 2011 6:33 PM

It turns out I was right - I'm quite surprised. 

In Row 1, after the set-up row, work two tks stitches and return pass (remembering to pull through two loops for each return stitch). Then, on Row 2, you work the first two tks on the stitches on Row 1 and then the third tks on the set-up row - return pass as with Row 1.  So, on Row 3, you work 3 tks on Row 2 and the 4th tks on the set-up row.  I'm assuming you do that until you get to the end of the knit stitches and then switch to purl stitches and then alternate each set of knit and purl stitches until you get to the number of stitches required (that's 56(61,66,71,81,86,96)) then single crochet down to the set-up row to start all over again for the second base triangle.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,108
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Oct 13, 2011 10:36 AM

Exactly! Sounds like you have it chermite. As you get to the purl stitches in the set-up row, you will need to work purl stitches in purl stitches while continuing to work your previous knit stitches as knit stitches. It's so much fun to watch the knit and purl stripes grow!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
yarnedaround wrote
on Oct 15, 2011 2:16 AM

I just saw this CAL and being in India I am not able to get the suggested yarn. However I am going to try a  swatch in good old acrylic and see how it feels . I am busy preparing for my craft stall end of this month so I am not expecting to get a lot done before that but I hope to atleast log in and check here to see how everyone's is coming along. Thanks for starting this cal as tunisian crochet is one of my favorite methods!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,108
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Oct 15, 2011 9:01 AM

Welcome Yarnedaround. We are happy to have you join us!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,108
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Oct 17, 2011 11:37 AM

I have the first base triangle almost finished! This project is so addictive. I really should have been making dinner last night, but I couldn't stop crocheting. How are your tees coming?

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Oct 17, 2011 12:17 PM

I'm about 75% done with the first base triangle and yes it is addicting! I'd probably have more completed had I not ripped it out 80 billion times because I changed my mind on yarn :-P. Even though this one I'm working on is nowhere near finished, I'm already thinking what color I want my next one to be! Love the pattern so far, I'm new to tunisian and this tee is so easy to work with and has a very easy to understand pattern.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
on Oct 17, 2011 1:05 PM

Hi everyoneSmile

I have also ripped this about a billion times!  I'm on row 30 of the 1st base triangle.  Again, would have been further along had it not been for all the ripping!  I'm also going to start a second one to do alongside this one in purple.  Maybe I'll even do another in pink!!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,108
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Oct 21, 2011 1:22 PM

I have the first base triangle finished! Remember to count your rows carefully. I accidentally worked two extra rows. Luckily I caught it early. I would have hated to take out more than a few rows. And the second triangle is working up very quickly. I stayed up WAY too late last night crocheting. I just couldn't put it down! You can see pictures of my progress in the gallery. When i was photographing my progress a coworker who was walking by commented that it looked a bit like a bikini top for an ogre. Big Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 3
chermite wrote
on Oct 21, 2011 6:11 PM

Ha!  I knew I'd get something wrong. Smile

I have managed to make these stripes horizontal, not vertical.  Good trick, huh?  Fortunately for me, I decided that this first run through would be a test garment - I intend to wear it only around the house, which is why I'm not trying this with silk yet - and I'm using a variegated yarn so the difference is not that noticable. If anyone asks I'll just say I designed it that way. :)

Especially since I'm about halfway though my second base triange - no way I'm going to be frogging it now.

Now that I have a picture to compare with my work, my next attempt with this top will be much more like it looks in the pictures. Big Smile

Page 2 of 5 (64 items) < Previous  1 2 3 4 5  Next > | RSS