How to resize a baby hat?

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
greenlydon wrote
on Oct 6, 2011 1:05 PM

I don't know how to resize baby hat pattern.

The pattern I have is as follows:

Hat: Size 6-12 months

16" circumference

GAUGE: 

First rnd of hat = 1-1/2" in diameter; 8 sts = 4". 

I want to adjust the pattern to the following:

Hat: Size 12 months - 3 years

20" circumference

Not sure if you need the pattern so I will give it just in case.

With K/10 1/2 hook, ch 4 join with sl st in first ch

rnd 1:  Ch 3, work 11 dc in ring, sl st in third ch of turning ch to join --12 sts.

rnd 2:  Ch 3, 2 dc in each of next 2 dc, * dc in next dc, 2 dcin each of next 2 dc: rep from * around, sl st in third ch of turning ch to join -- 20 sts

rnd 3:  Ch 3, *2 dc in each of next 2 dc, dc in next dc; rep from * around to last st, 2 dc in last dc, sl st in third ch of turning ch to join -- 33 sts.

rnd 4-7: Ch3, dc in each dc around, sl st in third ch of turning ch to join. -- 33

rnd 8:   Ch 2, hdc in each dc around sl st in second ch turning ch to join. -- 33 sts

rnd 9:  Ch 1, sc in first hdc, sk next hdc, 6 dc in next hdc (shell made), sk next hdc; rep from * around, sl st in first sc to join --8 shells .

I have looked all over the internet for help and I have found charts,someone said to increase stitches by 2, and to create a swatch to determine how many stitches it will take to make the hat (No instructions on how to determine the stitches.   I just wish I could get some help on this.  I appreciate any help that anyone can give to me.  I would like to make my grand-daughter a hat that is a custom fit.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 44
pure wrote
on Oct 13, 2011 9:31 AM

Instead of trying to change the stitches, perhaps using a larger hook would work.  If you feel that makes it  to airy looking, use a slightly thicker yarn or two strands of yarn held together.  You will still need to work a swatch up to make sure of your gauge.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 225
on Oct 14, 2011 8:00 AM

When I want to change the size of a hat, I add or subtract a row on the increase rounds. Generally, the increase rounds follow a pattern of increases. For example, 1st round has 2 stitches in each stitch; the 2nd round will have 2 stitches in one stitch then 1 stitch in the next (repeat this increase around); the 3rd round will have 2 stitches in one stitch then 2 single stitches (repeat this increase around); the 4th will have 2 stitches in one stitch then 3 single stitches (repeat this increase around); and so on for each successive round until the desired hat circumference is reached. Of course, you need to ensure you end your increase rounds with the number of stitches needed to begin your pattern stitches but this is easy to accomplish with a few adjustments as you go along. 

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Oct 22, 2011 4:37 AM

Is there any E-book  or any site availabe which provides beginner  or complete knowledge.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS