northern dreams sweater's grey yarn

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
marinella725 wrote
on Dec 2, 2011 10:14 AM

Hello,

I would like to buy the pattern for the crochet northern dreams sweater, but I cannot get the grey yarn that was used to create the sweater seen in the picture. The only affordable yarn I am finding appears to be either much thinner or much thicker, but never the same thickness as the one suggested. Has anyone made that sweater using thinner yarn (about 180 m for 50g, instead of 134m), and how has it worked out for you? Any tips or advice? I'd rather not buy all that amount of yarn plus the cost of the pattern if I end up not being able to make it look like the one in the picture.

I hope someone can help and good luck to everyone with whatever project you are woking on right now!

Marina

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,227
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Dec 2, 2011 3:49 PM

Hi Marina,

I talked our Project Editor, and she gave me a couple of suggestions.

-Weight by length isn't always reliable, as different yarns have different density, especially if they are different fibers. Alpaca is especially tricky, as the fiber micron varies a LOT from individual animal to animal.
- Frog Tree alpaca sport appears to be a possible good sub.
-There really isn't a tried and true way to tell if a yarn is a good sub without swatching. I'd recommend buying one skein of the two most likely subs, and swatching with both. They can always be used to make hats for gifts later!

I hope this helps!

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS