The Official Swingy Skirt Crochet-Along

This post has 11 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,226
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Mar 16, 2012 2:20 PM
Once the temperature hits the 70 degree mark, I pull out all of my spring skirts and dresses. Frolicking in the sunshine with a twirl-y skirt or dress on is one of the true joys of summer. We just had our second straight week of 60 and 70 degree days here in Colorado and as I look in my closet, I find it could use a few more skirts to get me through the twirling season. Rather fortuitously, the Spring issue of Interweave Crochet has a whole crochet skirt story!

Swingy Skirt by Victoria Hewerdine Thornton

The Swingy Skirt by Victoria Hewerdine Thornton caught my eye as soon as it arrived in the office. It's a really classic shape that flatters every body type. It's a simple pattern; one of those that can be toted around to ball games or on lunch breaks in the park. It can be easily modified to add or subtract length (the pattern even tells you where to do so). Plus, the yarn is really affordable so it's not an expensive project by any means.You could even get a couple of coordinating colors and make it striped if you wanted (I was toying with this idea).

I have never crocheted a skirt before, and I'd love to have a bunch of lovely ladies all hooking up their skirts together. Then we can all go have a spontaneous frolic together in our fabulous new crocheted skirts! Please come join me in the Crochet-Along forum. We can discuss what colors we're all choosing, what we will wear underneath it, frolicking, etc. See you there!

Warm wishes,

-Sharon

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 100
on Mar 19, 2012 10:29 AM

Greetings Swingy Skirt Crocheters! Time to order or pick up your yarn for the project. What is everyone using? Colors? I've got a really pretty canary yellow in the Lion Brand LB Collection Cotton Bamboo used in the pattern. You can check it out, along with the rest of the color palette, here. Happy yarn shoppingBig Smile

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 41
jjennifer143 wrote
on Mar 19, 2012 10:48 AM

I'm IN!  Debating:  Do I use the Caron Spa yarn, per the pattern, or go with the Lion Brand Cotton Bamboo like Sharon is doing?????????  I can get the Caron at Michaels.  What does everybody think?

Not Ranked
Posts 2
lioness38 wrote
on Mar 23, 2012 2:17 PM

I just got the Spring 2012 IC mag last week and LOVED this skirt. I am not a skirt person, so this is a big deal for me!  I'm happy to see a CAL for it to keep me from backing out of trying it!  I need to shop from my stash. I have 3 choices: lime green (like the sample) Cascade Ultra Pima, medium blue Cascade Sierra or dark grey Caron Spa.  Does anyone think this skirt will need to be lined  or do I just wear a slip underneath? Or am I old-fashioned in these thoughts?

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 41
jjennifer143 wrote
on Mar 23, 2012 6:43 PM

Hi Lioness38,

Not old fashioned at all!  It looks like the model is wearing it over a dress.  I am thinking of making mine in green and wearing it over a brown skirt.  I  have several brown or black skirts that are totally blah, but wearing them almost as a slip under the skirt, now that would be cute.  The only thing is I think the link has to be just above the shortest point of the skirt.  

I haven't started yet; but I won't quit if you don't! 

Jenn

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 100
on Mar 26, 2012 10:15 AM

I agree. Not old fashioned whatsoever. I'm going to wear a half-slip under mine. The model in the picture is also wearing a half-slip, and it provided the perfect coverage at the shoot.

What colors are everyone choosing?

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
Vicky Jane wrote
on Mar 28, 2012 3:55 PM

Hi everybody,

This is Vicky - I designed the Swingy Skirt. I'm so excited to see what you all make! How are you getting along so far? Do feel free to ask any questions you have and I'll do my best to help.

Hope you're enjoying it. Would love to see photos of your WIPs!

Hope you're all having a fab day!

Best wishes,

Vicky (Hewerdine Thornton)

Not Ranked
Posts 1
tigergal73 wrote
on Nov 29, 2012 9:59 AM

Vicky, I love this skirt! Where do I find the pattern? I can't seem to locate it anywhere.

Thanks!

Lou Ann

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
Vicky Jane wrote
on Nov 29, 2012 4:02 PM

Hi Lou Ann,

Thank you so much for your kind comment - I'm so glad you like the skirt!

The pattern was published in the Spring 2012 edition of Interweave Crochet magazine, and is still available from the Interweave store here: http://www.interweavestore.com/Crochet/Magazines/Crochet-Spring-2012.html?_iwcspid=133241

Or you can also download a digital copy of the magazine here: http://www.interweavestore.com/Crochet/Magazines/Crochet-Spring-2012-Digital-Edition.html

Hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy making it!

Very best wishes,

Vicky

Not Ranked
Posts 2
stitchncrazy wrote
on Dec 1, 2012 7:40 PM

so where can I find the pattern please??  Marybeth "stitchncrazy"

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 16
Vicky Jane wrote
on Dec 1, 2012 7:56 PM

Hi Marybeth,

The pattern was published in the Spring 2012 edition of Interweave Crochet magazine, and is still available from the Interweave store here: http://www.interweavestore.com/Crochet/Magazines/Crochet-Spring-2012.html?_iwcspid=133241

Or you can also download a digital copy of the magazine here: http://www.interweavestore.com/Crochet/Magazines/Crochet-Spring-2012-Digital-Edition.html

Hope this helps, and I hope you enjoy making it!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
stitchncrazy wrote
on Dec 1, 2012 8:03 PM

Thanks Vicky I am sure I have that copy somewhere here in my stash!!!  Marybeth

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS