How do I add a crochet edge to my baby blanket, maybe a small shell ?

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
on Mar 18, 2012 4:44 PM

Hi my name is Shirley:) :  I am teaching myself to crochet , I have just finished a baby blanket of single crochet squares and I have whip stiched it altogether and would like to add a ruffle or  something around the edge. I think that it would finish it off , any sugestions ? I am still learning so something simple and where on the blanket would I start. Thanks for any help offered .

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 158
on Mar 18, 2012 5:20 PM

Hi, Shirley -

First you need to know how many stitches there are on the edge of each sqyare.

Let's say there are 15.  You could have a single crochet, then a half double crochet, then a double crochet, then a half double crochet, then a single crochet.  This takes care of 5 stitches.  Repeat this two more times and you have covered 15 stitches total.

Let's say you have 12 stitches on the edge of each square.  You could do a single crochet, a half double crochet, 2 double crochets, a half double crochet and a single crochet.  Do this twice and that takes care of 12 stitches.

These two ideas will lay flat, yet will make a nice edging.  You  could eliminate the half double crochet and use a double crochet in its place, then use a triple crochet in place of the double crochets.

Since you are a beginner, I think these patterns would be the easiest for you.

Now, for the corners.  When you come to the corner you will want to put a half crochet, 2 of your longest crochet stitches, then a half crochet all in the corner stitch..  In other words, if your longest stitch is a double crochet, then you will put  2 double crochets in the corner with a half double crochet on either side. If your longest stitch is the triple crochet, try 2 or 3 triple crochets in the corner with a double crochet on each side, all in the corner stitch.  You may have to use 3 triple crochets as they are longer.  Try both ways and see which way lays flat and doesn't curl.

Where to start.  I would start in the next stitch to the corner stitch.  That way you will be ending in the corner when you have all four sides done and can slip stitch into the first single crochet. 

When you are finished, you should have a nice scalloped edging.

If you need more help, post your question.  I check this site every day to help whenever I can.

Happy Crocheting!!

It would be best for you to start 1 stitch away from your corner stitch and going all around the blanket until you come to the last corner

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS