"Painted" Doily

This post has 16 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 233
on Apr 16, 2012 10:00 AM

This is a lovely technique and was my first attempt at making a "painted" doily!   It’s made using a size 10 hook with three strands of regular sewing thread. One strand is swapped with a new color every few rows.  Depending on how many colors are used and the number of rows in the pattern determines how frequently the colors are changed.   I used five colors of rose going from dark to light and introduced a new color about every fourth row (except at the beginning and end where I doubled the number of rows using the same color).  This pattern is the “Puff Diamond Table Topper” doily from the Ultimate Book of Pineapples.  The finished doily measures 21.”  Any pattern can be used but it’s best if a larger pattern be used.  Here’s why:  this pattern calls for size 10 thread and hook size 5 to create a table topper measuring 37” across.  That’s a 16” difference in size and illustrates how intricate the stitches become using sewing thread and a smaller hook.  I completed this doily in about two weeks. It will be a gift for my mother’s 80th birthday with a nice arrangement of flowers to top it off.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 200
on Apr 17, 2012 10:28 AM

Great technique!   I saw this on facebook.  Did you read about this somewhere or is it your own idea?

If you don't challenge yourself, you don't grow.

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Apr 17, 2012 10:32 AM

Beautiful!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
tamelask wrote
on Apr 17, 2012 10:36 AM

beautiful!!

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 380
lanesgma wrote
on Apr 17, 2012 11:01 AM

That is beautiful - I've never seen anything like it - I might have to try this! 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 233
on Apr 17, 2012 11:04 AM

I think I first saw this technique on Annie's Attic and then did an internet search to get more info.  I love the blending of colors but as this was my first try, I think the darker colors should have extended further out.  If anyone has any experience making these doilies, would appreciate your input on how best to choose colors, how many variations of a color, etc.  I'd like to try again and maybe use blues or greens.  One good idea I did pick up when I was gathering info was to put the thread on bobbins rather than buying 3 spools of thread of every color. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 380
lanesgma wrote
on Apr 17, 2012 11:29 AM

I just ordered the Annies Attic book Painted Doilies - figured I'd do better at first if I had an actual pattern telling me where to change colors - this is very intrigueing - your mom is going to love it! Thanks for sharing this - I can't wait to try it - and thanks for the tip on winding onto bobbins too! 

Not Ranked
Posts 7
Cheryl728 wrote
on Apr 17, 2012 11:35 AM

Beautiful work. I have to try crocheting doilies.

Cheryl     

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Apr 17, 2012 12:19 PM

I love the doily that you have done, it is really beautiful.  I have the painted doilies and the mini painted doilies book.  Fell in love with them the first time I saw them.  I did notice that the bigger the doily the more colors they used (at least 5 different colors).  I am also grateful for the info on using bobbins instead of 3 spools (that can get beauty expensive, much cheaper using bobbins) Thank you.  Hope to see more of your work!

Keep on Hookin' & Cookin'

Danita Cronin

www.facebook.com/Hookin.n.Cookin

Not Ranked
Posts 5
on Apr 17, 2012 12:19 PM

absolutely beautiful!! I love doily patterns!! I'm going to have to try this technique - In the past I've taken doily patterns and created afghans - I even have a pattern using quilting thread for intricate work - thanks for sharing!! Lori

Not Ranked
Posts 1
on Apr 17, 2012 4:32 PM

Simply beautiful Yes

I can't wait until I become proficient (and patient) enough to do something like this myself 

Not Ranked
Posts 9
cherokeejay wrote
on Jul 14, 2012 2:16 AM
Is this standard sewing thread or something a little heavier ? I have a nylon thread that is a bit heavier and slightly stiffer that jams my sewing machine; I might try using it. Thing is I have trouble seeing #10 crochet cotton and wear readers when I use it but I think I might have a bit more trouble seeing standard sewing thread. I do have a pattern for crocheted angels that this method would be beautiful with...maybe it would be okay if I just added a shade or two of the lighter thread to white #10 crochet cotton; For instance use the #10 and a couple strands of dark blue sewing thread, followed by a lighter blue and so on with the white until it fades out completely near the edges. Hmmm.. Now my brain is busy indeed. I love crochet so many possibilities with just one hook. Thanks for sharing.
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 233
on Jul 14, 2012 8:51 AM

Yes, it's standard sewing thread.  I had difficulty seeing the stitches at times and had to work under a bright light to see better (even during the day!).  I also occasionally failed to pick up all three threads in a stitch but that was easy to catch although it did slow me down and made it difficult to get a rhythm going.  One other problem I had was keeping the tension on the three threads at all times.  As I worked, I would see a little loop peaking out on the backside from just one thread that may have been just a little slack.  It happened only a few times but was very frustrating because I'm one of those that won't work over an error hoping that no one will notice; I rip out to where the error is and re-do.  I consider myself an experienced crocheter and I love this technique but it certainly presented challenges for these old eyes and hands.   The pattern and technique are easy enough to follow, but seeing & making the tiny stitches was a trial in patience!  (The mind said I could do it with no problem -- my arthritic hands and fading vision said something quite different!  LOL!)  

Doing it the way you suggested (using #10 and standard sewing thread) would be a good way to add color and give it a shaded effect although the effect may be less dramatic because the #10 would be your dominate color.  I've done this before when I was using a #3 thread that was a bright yellow that I wanted to tone down.  I added a brown thread and just by adding that thin sewing thread did the trick to toning down the yellow to a more neutral shade.

Not Ranked
Posts 9
cherokeejay wrote
on Jul 16, 2012 1:21 PM

Thanks for letting me know. I think I will try it both ways.  I like a good challenge and although it's only July I need to start working on my Christmas projects. Stick out tongue Perhaps I missed it in the original post but did the yardage required for the pattern increase or stay about the same?  I promise to post once I complete an angel in each method, it will probably be some time near the end of September. I have other unfinished projects that need completed first. Embarrassed

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 233
on Jul 16, 2012 8:00 PM

That's a good question but I have no idea how much yardage I used!  All I can tell you is that I bought the large spools of thread and they filled my bobbins several times with some still left over.

Page 1 of 2 (17 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS