Help!! new and project is not working . .

This post has 7 Replies | 5 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Apr 18, 2012 10:27 AM

ok so I am very new to crocheting! I have been trying for a few days and I finally kinda got my tension to not be the big problem. BUT my question is . . . when do I add in an extra stitch at the end of my rows? everytime or only when the pattern calls for it? my dishcloth is not evenly square it is starting to be smaller and smaller!! help!!

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Apr 18, 2012 11:22 AM

I was just looking around at some of the other posts on here and found where someone had suggested watching a youtube video by teresa richardson! And I have to say she is amazing her video is very informational and easy to follow! I saw what I was doing wrong yea!!!

For one I wasn't crocheting through both loops just one so all fixed now!! =)

Seriously youtube is a good resource!!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
Luz-de-Luna wrote
on Apr 18, 2012 12:38 PM

I also think it is a lifesaver to put a split-ring stitch marker under both top loops of the turning chain (no matter how big your chain is) at the end/beginning of a row, so I find it more easily when I stumble upon it again two rows later.

I came up with this solution when I, too, was a beginner who hopelessly watched her projects getting narrower. ;-)

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Apr 18, 2012 1:03 PM

I tell everyone I teach to crochet to count the "v's" (the stitches) on each and every row until they get used to it so they dont miss a stitch. Good luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Apr 18, 2012 1:03 PM

I tell everyone I teach to crochet to count the "v's" (the stitches) on each and every row until they get used to it so they dont miss a stitch. Good luck!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
deknac wrote
on Apr 18, 2012 7:38 PM

To get your work even, count your stitches on every row. As long as you have the same # of stitches on every row, your work will stay even.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 233
on Apr 19, 2012 11:23 AM

A common mistake for new crocheters is sometimes adding a stitch at the beginning of a row or missing that last stitch on a row.  That stitch happens to be the turning chain.  You have to remember that the turning chain is to be counted as a stitch both at the beginning of a row and at the end.  At the beginning of a row and after making that turning chain, it will sometimes look like you're skipping a stitch when you begin the row of stitches.  However, just pull up a little on that turning chain and you'll be able to see how it is right above the stitch of the row below and it makes sense that it would be your first stitch of the row you're working.  Now as you work across, you have to remember that the turning chain of the row below is the last stitch (it has a habit of often "disappearing" into the work and can be easily missed).  Missing this last stitch is often the culprit of a shrinking project!  Until you get the hang of not missing/seeing that stitch, place a marker in it after it's made.  The marker will be your reminder that it is your last stitch of the row and will help you keep your edges straight by ensuring you remember to pick up that last stitch.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Apr 19, 2012 12:01 PM

I wish there was a like button for all of these wonderful tips!! THANK YOU!!  I have been trying to find some of these little tricks on different websites but no one ever said anything about if you lose the stitch or miss it your work will get smaller! hmm well thank you to everyone! I really appreciate your helpfulness!!

Happy Crocheting!! =)

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS