Making a pattern bigger to fit me

This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 3
mrsgalloway wrote
on Jul 22, 2012 10:42 AM

hello :)

I have not crocheted many garments before, and I was wondering how to make a jumper or cardigan bigger or smaller to fit me?

I understand it will be using increases and decreases, but I am unsure of where to put them?

I have read all your articles on shaping and measurements, and I am still at a loss.

I would also like to crochet my own cardigan, but am clueless on this, I do not know how to shape, and when to shape, how many stitches, ect...

So if anyone could help me please, with easy to follow instructions, I would be so grateful.

Thank you :)

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,239
Toni Rexroat wrote
on Jul 23, 2012 12:48 PM

Hi,

Are you trying to make the entire garment larger or smaller or are you just modifying a specific section such as the waist or bust?

If you are modifying, try working more increases/decreases more frequently than given in the pattern. So if it tells you to single crochet two together on each side of the row every 8 rows, try doing it every 5 or 6 rows. Use your gauge to determine how many extra stitches you will need to increase/decrease. Then remember to increase/decrease back to the number of stitches given in the pattern when you have finished the shaping.

Best wishes,

Toni

Not Ranked
Posts 3
mrsgalloway wrote
on Jul 25, 2012 7:13 AM

Hiya :)

I have a few patterns in mind that I want to do, and it is the bust size I am needing to change, some to make it smaller, some to make it larger.

Also, I was wondering about shaping the pattern too, to make it more fitted, around the waist ect...

So how will I know how many stitches to add in or take away, going from the gauge?

Also, is there a thread anywhere on this site, on how to design your own jumper or cardigan to fit your shape? I am quite new to garments, I have made a few, but I would like to design my own, but I do not know where to begin, will I just make a chain to fit my front, crochet up to the waist, decrease a little there, and then increase the same amount of stitches once the waist is done, then shape the armholes  ( how do you do this? ) and neck, ( again, how do you do this? ), and then the same for the back side, and then make the sleeves?

Can you tell I am at a loss here, lol.

I am thinking the best way for me to learn would be to do a few patterns first, and then try to do my own?

Thank you for your help, I really appreciate it :)

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 158
on Jul 25, 2012 5:50 PM

The best thing for you to do is find a pattern that fits your measurements and crochet that pattern.

From there you will be able to change that pattern to a different style using that pattern and your finished garment (i.e. changing the sleeves, altering the length, having a back or a front opening in the skirt or bodice, etc.

The main thing is to find and make a pattern that fits your measurements.

Happy Hooking.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
mrsgalloway wrote
on Jul 26, 2012 5:01 AM

Thank you :)

So if I do this, and then want to change the style, will I be able to change the stitch, or could this make the garment too big or too small?

Top 50 Contributor
Posts 158
on Jul 26, 2012 9:11 AM

You can change the stitch by way of the following:

If your original pattern is in single crochet and you want to change it to double crochet, you will have to make a 4-5'" swatch to see how much larger your change will be and adjust your crocheting accordingly.  Say that single crochet will be 5" square and double crochet will be 5x7" square. You will have fewer rows with the double crochet.  The width will always stay the same if you are using the same hook you used in your original pattern.

If you have a dress that fits you properly, you possibly could crochet the skirt part first, laying your work on top of this dress for guidance.

Then you could work the bodice doing the same procedure, ie laying your work on the bodice part. 

When finished you would sew the bodice to the skirt with a needle and yarn.

Hope this is helpful.

Happy Hooking :-)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS