"Anatomy" of stitches??

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
lutzpd wrote
on Dec 28, 2012 6:04 PM

Hello there!  I'm a self taught crocheter, and have been at it for about 2 years now.  I'm having a blast and am trying to learn how to do the more intermediate/complicated patterns.  

Currently I am working on an earflap hat (a pattern that I found at redheart.com.    I understand how to do all of the stitches, which are dc2tog, Fpdc, Bpdc.  But, the pattern is making me doubt my self-taught skills.  lol  

I am in search of something I can look at that would be list and show every part of the stiitch.  For example; i have done one pattern where the author included the "anatomy" of the stitch in a sketch, as to what was the post and which stitch was part of that post, such as in the pic below: 

I am searching for something like this, but that would show me further details... specifically, if part of the pattern reads:

"ch 3, dc in next stitch, 2 Fpdc in next stitch, "dc in next 2 sts, 2 Fpdc in next st, repeat from * around; join with slip st in top of ch-3"

I need to know which is the "next stitch" after I do the Fpdc? I thought I knew, but I keep ending up with too many or too little stitches at the end of the rounds and I've pulled my work out no less than 4 times now!!  Ack!  I need help!  lol 

If anyone has info on where I might find something like this, please let me know!  Thank you for your time!!  :) 

PS - I did go to Dummies.com where the above photo was pulled from, but I still couldn't locate what I'm looking for.  :/

Not Ranked
Posts 1
spidersue wrote
on Dec 30, 2012 1:21 PM

A few good places for you to check out. 

Youtube.com  just check out crochet.  You may be surprised to see how many classes they have on there for the beginner, I have used you tube for so many things like this. 

Google what you are looking for and most of all try looking up book titles in places like Amazon.com and Barnesandnoble.com  If you find some books that look good then copy down the info for these books and then contact your local library or even hop on over there

If the library does not have any of these books or something like them then you ask about getting an Inter library loan. Explain to them what you are looking for and they can get it on loan for you.  OR they may buy a copy for their library shelves and you can check it out any time you need.

While at the library ask if they know of anyone that does crochet.  NO Really!! Our library even has classes on crochet (I just do not have time to go). Someone at the library may be a crocheter and will be able to answer.  If you dont ask you will not know.....so dont be shy.

Not Ranked
Posts 5
koteccek wrote
on Feb 3, 2013 6:26 PM

size 3-6 months baby earflap hat. Just check how easy it is to make this hat.

Part one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ayGD8qFC78

Part Two

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCFmurrNSx8

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS