Hi Ya'll

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Feb 14, 2013 12:38 PM

Hi everyone! My name is Kimberly and I am just learning to crochet. I enjoy it so much. I am still learning and practicing stitches, but have dedicated myself to sticking with it and become good at it.

Other than my crochet experience, I am 40 years old. I have been married for 18 years and have a 10-year-old daughter. I teach part-time at a private school, intern in counseling at a large public high school, and am finishing my master's degree in May. My other big hobby is cooking. I have been doing it for 38 years.

I am so glad to have found a board where I can read other's ideas and hopefully contribute once I get a little better. 

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 233
on Feb 15, 2013 8:45 AM

Welcome to the forum!  I first learned to crochet from my grandmother and aunt some 50 years ago.  I love the craft and although I'll sometimes do some knitting, crocheting is my passion.  If you're still in the the learning mode, a good project to start on is potholders.  You can practice your stitches, complete a project in a few hours, and end up with a useful item.  Here's a great website for just potholders:

http://www.crochetpatterncentral.com/directory/potholders_etc.php

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Feb 16, 2013 12:57 PM

Oh wow!! Thank you so much for the link. I will definitely do the potholders first. It's nice because they aren't overwhelming. And, I am in dire need of some new ones. I love that I can customize them to my kitchen. Thanks again. 

I wish I had a family member to teach me to crochet. For some odd reason, many of my family members don't have hobbies. I have had to teach myself all of the hobbies I have. My great grandmother was an amazing crocheter. She was so resourceful because she grew up in the depression. She would crochet rugs and garbage cans out of bread bags. She was amazing. She died when I was young or I would have asked her to teach me.

Top 25 Contributor
Posts 233
on Feb 17, 2013 9:44 AM

YouTube has been a big help for me when I need to see how a stitch is worked.  Just go to that website and type in the stitch name and you'll usually find a demo video.

Not Ranked
Posts 6
on Feb 18, 2013 8:48 AM

Hi Kimberly,

Hope you have many enjoyable years crocheting.  I have been crocheting for about 40 years and love it!  Years ago, I purchased a book with lots of crochet squares in different patterns that you would then sew together to make an afghan.  I enjoyed doing it, and it helped me learn a lot of new stitches.  You could do the same with potholder patterns and make the afghan as big or as small as you want.  Enjoy and welcome!

Mary

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS