How do I work opposite side of crochet chain?

This post has 4 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
hperdikaris wrote
on Feb 18, 2013 5:06 PM

HELP!  i'm following a pattern i downloaded from this site and i've reached a part i totally do not understand.  it reads:  

Row 1: (RS) Ch 1, sc blo in next 80 sts, ch 72sts, being careful not to twist ch, with RS facing, work in blo of opposite side of foundation ch of underarm ribbing as foll: Sc blo in next  80 sts (232 sts)

Row 2: Ch 1, sc blo in next  9 sts, sc in next  71 sts, sc flo in next 37 ch, pm 36th and 37th, 36th and 37th, sts, sc flo in rem 35 ch, sc in next 71sts, sc blo in next 9 sts, turn— 232 sts. 

I worked the 80sts as described in Row 1, and then created the 72 chain.  What I don't get is

1) how to work in the blo of the opposite side of the foundation chain

2) why it's telling me to work 80 stitches when I have only created 72 (the additional 8 sts would theoretically go into the body of the work)

3) MOST IMPORTANTLY--when i add up the stich counts in Row 2, it's clear that I have to start at the end of the last row... but as it's described, the directions only get me to the end of the chain.

i'm so confused.. any help would be appreciated.  

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 455
Char55 wrote
on Feb 18, 2013 6:03 PM

If this is your 1st row after your foundation chain, I don't see where "back loop only" comes into play. How I would read it is to ch 1, single crochet in each of 80 stitches (I'm assuming ch 80 was your foundation chain); then you chain 72 (this creates an opening for a sleeve) then you single crochet in each loop on the bottom of your foundation chain (the loop left on each chain stitch when your did your 80 single crochet to start the row)   80 sc + 72 chs + 80 sc = 232 sts.

Hope this helps.

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 32
Yarnville wrote
on Feb 19, 2013 9:49 PM

Hi there!

I'm guessing that you are working on the Hank and Joe Vest Pattern. If you are, I hope the following will help explain what to do.

1) The foundation chain refers to the original foundation chain (when you started the RIGHT UNDERARM RIBBING section), not the chain of 72 sts that you just made. So the stitches will be worked into the un-worked loops of the first foundation chain that you made.

2) Because you are working into the original foundation chain, you do have 80 stitches to work into. You are not working into any of the 72 chain stitches that you just made until the following row. 

Just to help you picture the construction method.... You are stitching into the ribbed section starting at the hem of the vest, working your way up to the armpit, then you will create a long chain(of the 72 sts) that will go up over your shoulder and back down to meet with the top edge of the underarm ribbed section, you will then work the 80 sts along the opposite side of the ribbed section ending at the hem. Think of this as looking like a shoulder bag- where the 72 ch sts are the shoulder strap that connects one side of the ribbed section to the other.

I hope this helps!

Not Ranked
Posts 2
hperdikaris wrote
on Feb 20, 2013 5:51 AM

YES!!!! Now I get it...thanks so much I was honestly so confused!!

Top 200 Contributor
Posts 32
Yarnville wrote
on Feb 20, 2013 6:13 PM

I'm glad you are back on track :)

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS