The Official Morning Webs Shawl Crochet-Along

This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
on Oct 23, 2013 12:13 PM

Kathryn White designed the beautiful Morning Webs Shawl for the Accessories 2014 special issue of Interweave Crochet and it looks to be as much fun to make as it is to wear!

Kathryn used Zitron Traum Seide (distributed by Skacel), a luxurious yarn that is 100% silk! This light yarn, worked in a V-stitch, creates a lovely fabric with fabulous drape. Though the silk works nicely, other lace weight yarns could easily be substituted. Do check out the colors available in Zitron Traum Seide though, they are truly gorgeous. 

The shawl is edged with dewdrop cluster stitches... does that sound appealing or what?!  With a repeatable pattern that you can memorize after several rows, this project has excellent potential to become a "go-to shawl".

The Official Morning Webs Shawl CAL with Lindsay Jarvis

Description: Keep snug while breaking webs on your morning hike in this versatile shawl. An airy yarn worked in v-stitch on an oversized hook creates a lacy shawl, which is edged with dewdrop cluster stitches.

Finished Size 67" across top edge, 26" deep at point.

Yarn Zitron Traum Seide (distributed by Skacel) (100% silk; 875 yd [796 m]/3.5oz [100 g]): #019 jasper, 1 skein.

Hook Size I/9 (5.5 mm). Adjust hook size if necessary to obtain correct gauge.

Notions Yarn needle.

Schedule

Oct 28-Nov 1: Buy magazine, purchase yarn, and crochet swatch. Complete Rows 1-10.

Nov 3-9:  Rows 11-30. 

Nov 10-16: Rows 31-45.

Nov 17-23: Rows 45-50, edging, finishing, and blocking.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
on Oct 29, 2013 12:47 PM
For my yarn, I chose Zitron Traum Seide in a beautiful blue/green hue called Celadon. After playing around for a bit, I just adore this silk yarn!  I don't usually work with 100% silk... it is a bit slippery and doesn't have much of a stretch so it does take some getting used to. The sheen look is just fabulous and I can tell it will create a fabric with excellent drape. 

morning webs shawl swatch small In my first swatch, I used a size 7.5 (4.5mm) hook (smaller than the recommended hook since I tend to be a loose crocheter). The stitches in most lace fabrics tend to resemble a jumbled mess until blocked, and my swatch was no exception. You can spread the swatch out with your hands to get an idea of how the finished product will look, or to be absolutely sure, just go ahead and block. Because gauge isn't terribly important for this shawl, my goal was to play around until I was happy with the look of the shell stitches.

morning webs shawl swatch larger For my second swatch, I used the recommended size I/9 (5mm) hook and was very happy with the results. The notes section of the pattern states "Be sure to work loosely.  Do not tighten up or it will become difficult to work and lose the light airy feel." For my shawl, I will be sticking to this larger hook size to help achieve a very delicate look.  

Swatching really got me excited to start the Morning Webs Shawl! I am predicting a weekend filled with crochet, hot spiced tea, and a comfy chair.

Happy crocheting!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
on Nov 5, 2013 5:17 PM

This shawl is too much fun! I am so addicted to the shell stitch pattern and am really loving the yarn. This photo was taken at row 26 however I am now on row 30. I find the light and airy yarn to be easy on my wrist joints which allows for hours of happy crocheting.

I am lucky enough to be spending my week at a quaint cabin near Carter Lake and it has proven to be the perfect crochet getaway. Here you can see my Morning Webs Shawl basking in the mountain air. The air is getting quite chilly here in Colorado which means even more of a reason to curl up and craft away all day!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
linstrang wrote
on Nov 6, 2013 4:01 PM

I have a question about this shawl - I have a skein of Juniper Moon Findley Dappled that I think will work for this project.  However, it's only 798 yards and I'm a little hesitant to try because it is a little short. Do you know how much of the 875 yards will be used?

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
on Nov 6, 2013 5:10 PM

linstrang - ooooh I think the shawl would look great in that yarn!  I will keep you updated as to how much yardage I go through... as of now, I'm on row 34 (I know... a bit ahead of schedule but I couldn't stop!) and would estimate that I've used maybe 1/4 of the skein. I would be surprised if the shawl uses the whole skein of Traum Seide.

Just make sure to check your gauge as the Findley Dappled might be slightly thicker than the Traum Seide (I don't have it in front of me, just going off of Juniper Moon's gauge info online). Though gauge doesn't matter too much for the shawl, I just wouldn't want you to run out of yarn! 

Please keep us posted!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
on Nov 15, 2013 10:21 AM

Ok, ok.... after completing row 50 and moving on to the 4 double crochet clusters....I retract my previous statement about yarn quantities. My yardage is getting frighteningly low! I really underestimated how long those rows start to get near the end as well as how much yarn is eaten up by the clusters. I should be able to finish without a problem but I wanted to let others know who might be using a substitute yarn with less yardage.  Another thing to note is that I'm a pretty loose crocheter and usually go down one or two hook sizes but opted not to this time. 

With all of this in mind, I can't help planning for future Morning Webs Shawls! I think this project would be gorgeous with the main body worked in one color then switching to an accent color for the border and edging. You could also adjust the size of the shawl relatively easily by adding or subtracting rows from the main body. It would involve a bit of math to make sure the border and edging would come out correct.

Speaking of math, here's a little equation that I found quite useful for keeping track of your double crochets in the 50 rows of the body. I don't know about you but I certainly don't count my double crochets after every single row, however at the end of row 50 we need to have 200 double crochet. Every so often, you can check your rows by calculating:

[(Row# - 6) x 4] + 24 = double crochets

I am using row 6 as my marking point because that was the last charted row. Row 6 had 24 double crochets and you continue to increase by 4 double crochets every row for the body. So, for example let's look at row 50:

[(50-6)4] + 24 = (44)4 + 24 = 200

Yay for crochet math!!

Not Ranked
Posts 3
linstrang wrote
on Nov 26, 2013 5:14 PM

thanks for the info - I just went and got another skein of the Findley dappled.  I started the shawl and loved the way it looked.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 47
on Nov 27, 2013 11:38 AM

linstrang - so glad you are liking the project and that you got an extra skein! Please share photos of your finished product, Findley Dappled is a lovely yarn. I  finished my shawl and was left with barely a few yards... I was so nervous!! I do know that my gauge was purposefully a bit larger than the sample however the shawl does eat up a lot of yarn once you get to the border and edging.

My completed Morning Webs Shawl. I will most definitely be making more of these! It will be fun to play around with gauge or possibly taking some rows out. And I've mentioned it before but I really want to try one with the edging in a contrasting color.
Here is a close up of the bottom edging. We don't need to get into my make-shift blocking today... I didn't have enough mats so had to improvise with some cardboard. Despite my sub-par blocking, the shawl really did turn out beautifully! I would definitely recommend using flexible lace blocking wires, it will cut down on your time dramatically. I would estimate that it took me roughly 30 minutes to get everything pinned into place.

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS