Crochet Tips

This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower
Not Ranked
Posts 5
ooh-lalah wrote
on Jan 31, 2014 1:02 AM

Normal 0 MicrosoftInternetExplorer4

I'm planning to put these tips on my blog (when I start one) and would appreciate your feedback on whether these tips are written clearly enough.

These are my favorite crochet tips and tricks. I hope you find some new ideas here that work for you.

1. Eliminate the gap at the beginning of a dc row: When I start a row of dc, I ch 1 and dc in the 1st stitch. If it’s the beginning of a project, 2nd ch from hook.

Another gap eliminator is to start the row with a ch 2, then in first st, yo, pull up a loop, yo, pull through both loops, yo and pull up a loop from next st., yarn over and pull through both loops, yo and pull through all 3 loops . You’ve just finished a dc 2 together. You still end up with two stitches and no gap.
  2. Row counter: I have a number of beads strung on a pipe cleaner and move a bead at the end of each row.
  3. When you take the hook from one project to use on another project: Pin a slip of paper with the hook size on it, to the first project.
  4. Simple Seaming: This method works so well for me I’ve got to pass it along to you. Cut off a long piece of yarn at least twice as long as you think you’ll need. When I have a long seam, such as the side of a sweater, I start my seam in the middle of the length. First I divide the yarn in half and tie a knot through both layers of fabric, then at half-inch intervals I start a single crochet, but instead of completing it, I pull the yarn all the way through the loop and pull it tight. Moving right along, I do it again about ½ inch up until I reach the end. Then I turn my garment around and do the other side of the seam. Finish off (read Tip 5 for finishing off).
  5. Finishing off: Most instructions tell you to weave in the ends. I’ve found that my woven ends tend to pop out, so here’s what I do to stop that. I usually weave through a few stitches, then split the 4-ply yarn into 2 strands. Using a smaller size hook, I pull a strand through a nearby stitch, then tie the strands together firmly (but not tightly enough to gather the fabric), then tie a knot and pull it as tight as you can. Cut the ends as close to the knot as possible (about “_” much). The knot is almost undetectable.

When using boucle yarns I just weave in the ends and don’t worry about any pop-outs. Since the yarn is so bumpy anyway, the ends will probably stay woven in.
  6. Working with boucle and other textured yarns: I crochet in between the stitches. That way my hook doesn’t snag on the bumps of the yarn.
  7. Right side/wrong side: If the pattern instructions don’t say otherwise, I consider the tail on the left as the right side. When I’m attaching the front of a sweater to the back of the sweater, right sides together, the tail of one side is on the left, and the tail of the other side is on the right.

TIPS FOR MAKING HATS IN THE ROUND:

1. Always start with the magic circle.
  2. If you’re doing the crown of the hat in double crochet (dc), start with a chain 1, then dc. That counts as your first dc, and the advantage is having an invisible seam. After joining to the first stitch of row 1, start row 2 and all subsequent rows with a ch 1, dc.
  3. Pause after the first row and pull the tail of the magic circle tight. Use your hook to pick up the tail and weave it through stitches of first row. That way the circle will stay tight and you won’t have to finish off the tail after you’ve finished the hat.

Most Important Tip: Have fun Smile

Not Ranked
Posts 7
JaneanE wrote
on May 28, 2014 3:39 PM

Looks Good

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS