The Official Buttercream Shawl CAL

This post has 27 Replies | 7 Followers
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Feb 27, 2014 5:43 PM

Annette Petavy combined two very different fibers for this gorgeous shawl, firm linen and soft mohair. The mixture of the two creates an incredible texture that is as much fun to wear as it is to make. 

As a long time lover of mohair, I was instantly drawn to this shawl. The color and texture combinations are so decadent and pleasing to the eye! Play around with different hues for a completely new look, or recreate the delicious Buttercream palette from the magazine.

Learn more about the pattern here.

Preview the Spring 2014 issue here.

Schedule:

Hey Everyone, I wanted to push back the dates a week so that more people could have time to join in the fun:

Mar 9-15: Pick your yarn colors, swatching, share!

Mar 16-22: Linen section 1, Mohair section 1, and Linen section 2.

Mar 23-29: Mohair section 2 and Linen section 3.

Mar 30-Apr 5: Mohair section 3 and Linen section 4. Weave ends and block

Not Ranked
Posts 3
teachnkids wrote
on Mar 5, 2014 11:37 PM

Lindsay,

I've never been part of a crochet-along before. How does this work. Are we supposed to submit pictures of the various stages of our project? Just the finished project? How many people typically participate?

I'm excited to be able to do this project. The shawl is just beautiful! I've picked out my yarn colors; now to get them ordered and shipped.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 6, 2014 10:47 AM

Hi There!

I'm so happy to have you joining in the fun!! Our CAL's are very open, the idea is just to crochet the piece roughly along the same timeline so that we can see how how beautifully the other color combinations look and also to share any tips we may find for the pattern. We love to see photos at any stage of the project! As for the amount of people, it varies widely... sometimes only a few, sometimes lots of people. Either way, it's always fun :)

I have my colors picked out too, I just love making lace shawls, they are my absolute favorite!

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
NandiBC wrote
on Mar 6, 2014 3:28 PM

Hi there

I've noticed that my LYS receives their copies of Interweave Crochet 4-6 weeks before I get mine.  This is a problem when joining official Interweave CALs. I don't have my mag so I'm passing on this CAL.

Nandi

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 6, 2014 3:36 PM

Hi Nandi,

Well please feel free to join in later if you would like, it's so wonderful to see photos of the other projects! Perhaps in the future, we can schedule the start date of the CAL a few weeks later. I guess I was just excited and eager to get started on the shawl:)

Thanks for the feedback on this! 

Top 500 Contributor
Posts 21
NandiBC wrote
on Mar 6, 2014 6:00 PM

I appreciate your getting back to me, and I completely understand your eagerness to start. I put this info out there because it does seen strange to me that a paying subscriber gets their magazine long after the yarn shops do. In fact, a non subscriber has a chance to purchase off the website before I receive my mag. I also think (since were on the topic) it would be a courtesy for a paying subscriber to have electronic access to the mag. Just a thought. And my thoughts are offered as a friendly critique, I wish Interweave the best, the patterns they assemble from the different designers are a good balance between accessibility and innovation for us  "regular" crocheters to feel challenged and to learn new techniques. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 7, 2014 3:01 PM

Thanks Nandi, you make some really good points that I will pass along! Thank you for your feedback and thoughts!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 11, 2014 1:26 PM

Well, I could not be more excited about the colors for my Buttercream Shawl! For the Pierrot Irish Linen, I chose smoke brown and I paired it with light beige Cutie Mohair. Deciding on a color combination for this pattern turned out to be quite the challenge! There are so many different palettes that would completely change the overall outcome of the project. I wanted to go with something neutral and versatile. 

Here is a close up of the Cutie Mohair, it is such a delicious and warm creamy hue. Has anyone else picked out colors?

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Mar 14, 2014 8:07 PM

I bought my yarn today at the Pittsburgh Knit and Crochet festival!  I couldn't find anyone selling the Irish linen, and the only linen yarn I could find was more than I wanted to spend. So for the linen bands I'm using fair trade 100% silk reclaimed from recycled saris, and a coordinating mohair from the same vendor. It's gorgeous!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 17, 2014 10:48 AM

Gasp - those colors are so GORGEOUS! Ooh it reminds me of the sea :) I cannot wait to see how they look together!

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 18, 2014 6:44 PM
Ok I am in love with this pattern! It's coming out so nicely and how fun is it to transition between such yummy yarns?! I am especially fond of my color and texture combination as it reminds me of a coconut. The more rough brown linen against the soft creamy mohair.... it makes me thirsty for a tropical drink :)

And here is a shot of linen section 1, mohair section 1, and the beginning of linen section 2. This pattern is interesting enough to keep my attention yet symmetrical enough that I don't find myself constantly staring at a chart. What a perfect travel project this would be.... 

So I'm curious, does anyone else have a mathematical method for the placement of the markers on increase rows? I realize it doesn't matter too much but sometimes by brain can't help but to systemize things. 

I started with my non-permanent markers one dc away from the outer permanent markers. For the next increase row, they moved one dc away from the inner permanent markers. Moving forward, I think I will go back and forth this way. So for the next increase row, they would move 2 dc away from the outer markers, and so on. Once I reach the middle, I'll work my way back.

Not Ranked
Posts 3
on Mar 19, 2014 12:50 PM

Lovely! I do live the texture contrast between the linen and the mohair. I hope my silk contrast works as well.  I wound my balls last night, and hope to start tonight. 

One thing I am concerned about is my silk growing when blocked, compared to the mohair. The pattern doesn't provide a gauge for the linen section, so I'm not sure how to check it.  In considering using a D hook for the silk, and the E for the mohair, especially as I think my silk is a little heavier than the linen too. I will try a swatch and see how it looks....

Not Ranked
Posts 3
teachnkids wrote
on Mar 19, 2014 5:12 PM

I'm hoping to be able to join in the fun soon. I'm still waiting on the yarn I ordered. I guess I should have calculated shipping times a little better. Anyway, the yarn could be here any day now and I can't wait! I think I'll be playing crochet-catch-up for a little bit.

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 19, 2014 5:47 PM

HoopskirtLady:

Lovely! I do live the texture contrast between the linen and the mohair. I hope my silk contrast works as well.  I wound my balls last night, and hope to start tonight. 

One thing I am concerned about is my silk growing when blocked, compared to the mohair. The pattern doesn't provide a gauge for the linen section, so I'm not sure how to check it.  In considering using a D hook for the silk, and the E for the mohair, especially as I think my silk is a little heavier than the linen too. I will try a swatch and see how it looks....

I grabbed the sample shawl to give you an idea of the gauge on the linen: the first 7 rows of Linen section A measures roughly 6.5" wide and 2.25" tall.

It might be a good idea to check how the silk will behave when blocked. It would probably help if you steamed rather than wet blocked, that's probably what I'll do for this shawl. 

As far as the contrast, I think the silk and mohair will look really nice together. You'll have that extra contrast of the shine from the silk against the fuzzy mohair. 

Top 100 Contributor
Posts 48
on Mar 19, 2014 5:49 PM

teachnkids:

I'm hoping to be able to join in the fun soon. I'm still waiting on the yarn I ordered. I guess I should have calculated shipping times a little better. Anyway, the yarn could be here any day now and I can't wait! I think I'll be playing crochet-catch-up for a little bit.

Yay!!! Can't wait to see the yarn and your swatch! 

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS