Looking for a pattern - Pot Holders

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
JPrit wrote
on Mar 7, 2014 10:38 PM

Hello,

I am new to your forum and would love to seek your help.  I have been looking for a pattern for a very long time where I could reproduce the pot holders that my grandma made many years ago.  All of our family use them, but they are all beginning to get tattered.  I have this one left and I hate to lose it too. I would love to be able to make them for our family but cannot find the pattern. 

I have found many similar patterns, but the hoop is not the same, the crochet stitch is different or the over all shape is different.  I am not skilled enough to recreate this by view, but I can follow a pattern well.  I would very much like to make it as close to the original as possible.

I know this is wishing for a lot, but I was hoping someone would have a pattern for this pot holder.  I believe it is from the 1950's or early 1960's.

Thank you so much,

Julie

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 577
Char55 wrote
on Mar 9, 2014 2:58 PM

This one is the closest I could find...maybe if you just make the beginning ring bigger it will come out like the one you have without having to add the loop afterward. Start with a chain 12 instead of six and do 8 or 10 dc to each side instead of 4. Just remember that your turning chain counts as your first dc. Whatever space is left over after at the back of the ring can be covered by the sc edging that is added when you get to the desired size; and that should make it look like the one in your photo. This one is blue and white, but the color changes can be made as you have in the one in your picture.

Your potholder appears to have 6 rows of white, followed by 4 rows of multi-color, followed by 4 rows of white, followed by 4 more rows of multi-color, followed by 4 more rows of white and 1 row of sc edging done in multi-color.

The pattern can be found on this link:

http://www.freepatterns.com/detail.html?code=FC00722&cat_id=318

Hope this helps.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 577
Char55 wrote
on Mar 10, 2014 10:09 AM

This is the closest match I could find...the row patterns are the same except for the colors used. You could make the beginning ring a bit larger in order to avoid having to make the ring with the edging. I would do 10 to 12 chains in the beginning ring and 10 dc on each side of the chain 2 space. When you do the sc row edging, put 5 or 6 sc in the top of the beginning ring to strengthen it.

Your picture appears to have 6 rows of white, followed by 4 rows of multi-color, followed by 4 rows of white, followed by 4 rows of multi-color, followed by 4 rows of white, edged with 1 row of sc multi-color.

Hope this helps.

The free pattern can be found on this link:  http://www.freepatterns.com/detail.html?code=FC00722&cat_id=318  Here is the picture:

Not Ranked
Posts 2
JPrit wrote
on Mar 10, 2014 11:00 PM

Char55,

Thank you so much for taking the time to search for this.  I also appreciate your suggestions in changing the pattern so that it might be closer to what I am trying to achieve.  I will see what I can do!  Thanks again!!

Julie

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS