Beginner and need help reading a pattern

This post has 1 Reply | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 1
tiburonjoan wrote
on Apr 5, 2014 6:16 PM

Hi, I am making a beginner's scarf that has instructions for three rows of crochet.  I was able to get through my first row, which was to chain 44 stitches, and then double crochet that row.  But I haven't been able to progress from there.  I have several questions about the instructions, part of which I have typed here below:

Row 1: Work 2 double crochet in 4th chain from hook, *2 double crochet in next chain; repeat from * across - 82 double crochet at the end of this row.

I'm a little unclear about the meaning of the number 82, other than it means that number of stitches.  So after double crocheting, I have 41 stitches (the chain loops) showing across the top of that row.  But just to be clear, is it referring to the two stitches EACH that I have crocheted into the chain?  I am not supposed to be increasing the length, like in knitting?

Likewise, the instructions for rows 2 and 3 respectively state "123 double crochet at the end of this row," and then "164 double crochet at the end of this row."

I'm also a little unclear about the phrasing of "2 double crochet..."  Doesn't it just mean to double crochet the next stitch?  Isn't writing the number 2 there redundant, or am I missing something?

Thank you in advance for your help!  Geeked

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 506
Char55 wrote
on Apr 5, 2014 6:47 PM

Let's see if I can help.

Your first instruction said to chain 44 (which you did)

Row 1 says:  Work 2 double crochet in 4th chain from hook, *2 double crochet in next chain; repeat from * across - 82 double crochet at the end of this row.

What that means is that you count out 4 chains from your hook (never count the chain that is on the hook) and into that chain you will make 2 double-crochet stitches. Then you will make 2 double-crochet stitches in each chain across. That will give you a total of 82 double crochet stitches (41 x 2) plus the chain 3 at the beginning. Usually the chain 3 at the beginning counts as your first double crochet, but that's not what they indicated in this pattern. Rows 1 through 3 are definitely increase rows; when you finish Row 2 you should have 123 double-crochet stitches and 164 double-crochet stitches at the end of Row 3. You didn't include the directions for rows 2 & 3 so I'm not sure where the increases are made to reach those stitch totals.

Hope this helps.

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS