Adding lining to a baby blanket and more questions..

This post has 3 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 2
SaraKZ wrote
on Apr 22, 2014 9:06 PM

Hi there!

My sister is having a baby in July, and I don't have much time to plan all this out. Here is my situation:

I am using bernat super bulky baby yarn. 

I have done four and a half rows. Each row is 1''.

The blanket is presently 44'' x 5'' so far (5 rows).

I want it to be warm enough so the baby will be okay in Canadian winters (some of you may know how that will be :P)

I want it to last until the baby is at least 3-4 years of age. 

I wouldn't be able to (obviously) start over the blanket because I have done that numerous times whenever I messed up with the stitches. I'm tired of doing it.

I want to work with what I have since I spent money on an 8 mm hook and 3 skeins of 300g polyester yarn.

My questions are:

1. Is the blanket too long/short for my purpose? How big should it be in general?
  2. How wide should it be, if it's for a 3-4 year old?
  3. How do I line it after weaving in some ribbon on the edges?
  4. Can I do edging with a blanket that's got lining fairly easily? 
  5. I am using polyester yarn, what fabric should I use? I really want this to be soft, pretty and machine-washable (the yarn is machine-washable).
  6. Please, I need a clear, easy to understand answer to how to add lining??
  7. I started off with the wrong size hook: it was supposed to 6.5, but I used 8 mm. Can I just continue with the right hook like it never happened?

I'm a complete newbie with this. I have never, forget making a blanket, finished such a big project before. I only made one scarf, and one baby dress, that ended up being too small for my friend's baby anyway.

thanks in advance, 

I'm freaking out, 

Sara

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 531
Char55 wrote
on Apr 23, 2014 10:12 AM

Sara,

If you are using Super Bulky Baby yarn you should not have to add a lining for the blanket to keep the baby warm. I have made plenty of warm baby blankets using 100% acrylic 4 ply yarn (for cold New England winters).

Baby blankets are usually 36" x 45"  If you want it to last through their toddler years I would suggest 44" x 60" for a size.

If you started with a larger hook, changing to a smaller hook would change the size of the stitches; better to stick with the larger hook...unless you want to tear it out and start over.

Hope this helps.

Not Ranked
Posts 2
SaraKZ wrote
on Apr 23, 2014 3:52 PM

Thanks for the advice. You're right about the hook sizing; I started with a  7 mm after and it looked much smaller than the 8 mm. I opened up that row and did it again with 8. 

I still want to add a lining however:

1. what kind of fabric(s) do you think would go well with polyester yarn, in terms of stretch, feel and look?

2. How do I sew lining on the back?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 531
Char55 wrote
on Apr 23, 2014 6:46 PM

As far as linings go, I have never used one on a blanket so I really don't know how to attach one or which fabric to use...maybe a no-pill fleece if you want it really warm?

I've made baby blankets for friends and relatives in Vermont (where winters get below freezing for a week or so at a time) and never had any complaints about not having a lining...you tend to "layer" clothing and blankets on babies so you can add or remove as needed to keep them from getting too hot or too cold. If you're weaving ribbon trim into the blanket, make sure to secure it every few inches so the baby/child can't get pull on it and tangled up in it.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS