Tunisian Crochet Chevron Cowl bind off???

This post has 2 Replies | 2 Followers
Not Ranked
Posts 7
JaneanE wrote
on May 6, 2014 10:50 AM

I've made the Chevron Cowl from the free e-book 7 Tunisian Crochet Patterns.  The instructions describe how to work the stitch as far as the mechanics go, but it doesn't state if I should bind off in pattern which would bind off three together as well as binding off the Yarn overs or simply bind off all stitches individually including the yarn overs.  The latter will increase my stitch count substantially.  I would love to know what the appropriate method would be.  I don't want there to be holes and I'm not sure if I want a lettuce edge either.  This project will be given away in a church basket and I want it to look nice, my deadline is tomorrow.

 

Thanks 

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 1,324
Toni Rexroat wrote
on May 6, 2014 2:14 PM

You won't bind of in pattern but will work the sc BO in each stitch across including in each yarn over. Because you are not working in pattern you won't be adding any additional yarn overs so your stitch count will remain the same.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
JaneanE wrote
on May 6, 2014 2:45 PM

Toni Rexroat:

You won't bind of in pattern but will work the sc BO in each stitch across including in each yarn over. Because you are not working in pattern you won't be adding any additional yarn overs so your stitch count will remain the same.

Thanks Toni.  I waited for a reply for only a short time and with the deadline so close I thought I may not get an answer until it was too late, so I played around with it a little.  I BO part of it exactly the way you described for a couple repeats, then Bo in pattern for two repeats.  I don't know why I didn't just do that to begin with.  I found simply binding off gave me a wavy top edge (Lettuce edge) which would work for a cowl, however, it left holes where I had TSS3Tog on the previous row.  I pulled out my bound off stitches and using the larger hook, I BO in pattern and it looks good and doesn't have any holes.  The edge isn't wavy (lettuce edge) but its elastic and has a nice chevron shape.  Seaming was a bit of a bear, I found that to be much more of a challenge.  I'm wondering if I shouldn't have gone with the mattress stitch, but its drying now and looks good (enough) none the less.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS