The Official Eolande Shawlette Crochet-Along

This post has 24 Replies | 5 Followers
Top 10 Contributor
Posts 428
Marcy Smith wrote
on May 27, 2014 4:27 PM

Oh, lovers of filet crochet, here is your dream come true! Kathryn White's Eolande Shawlette from the Summer 2014 issue of Interweave Crochet has traditional block mesh stitches, as well as half-mesh stitches to soften the edges of shapes within the shawlette and crossed stitched to add texture. We'll be creating this gorgeous shawlette over the course of about two and a half months. Feel free to join in at any point-we'll be here all summer! 

June 2- 8, 2014: Purchase the Summer 2014 issue of Interweave Crochet, and gather your size 10 thread and Size 7 steel hook, along with a boatload of tiny beads. Review the directions, then review them again. If you are new to filet crochet, you might practice the stitches with yarn and a larger hook.

June 9- 15, 2014: Work Rows 1-25

June 16- 22, 2014: Work Rows 25-50

June 23- 29, 2014: Work Rows 51-70

June 30- July 6, 2014: Flip chart. Work Rows 71-100

July 7- 13, 2014: Work Rows 101-125

July 14- 20, 2014: Work Rows 126-139, including added "tabs"

July 21- 27, 2014: Begin working border.

July 28- August 3, 2014: Finish working border.

Aug 4-10, 2014: Work beaded rose closure. Block shawl. Wear happily, and load pictures to the member gallery (include the tag "Eolande Shawlette"!) 

Not Ranked
Posts 7
KanKnitKing wrote
on Jun 5, 2014 4:48 PM

Wonder if that time frame could be adjusted?  Seems that the hardcopy of the Summer 2014 issue doesn't go on sale until June 16 or 17.  Even though I do have that issue right now on my Nook, there is no way that I am going to be able to follow the pattern on that smaller screen, and I'm sure there will be others who don't get the magazine on e-readers

Sorry to start things off with a problem but I really don't want to begin this CAL a week behind schedule and then have to play catch-up on this very complex pattern!

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 428
Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 9, 2014 11:51 AM

KanKnitKing, absolutely! Sounds like a one-week shift forward will work just right.

Not Ranked
Posts 7
KanKnitKing wrote
on Jun 10, 2014 1:56 PM

I'm having problems with rows 7 & 8 - am I missing something or is there an error in the pattern? 

Row 7:  Starts out with 2 blocks, skip one block, 2 blocks.  Then move to the X-Large Diamond pattern, which says to follow chart to ch-5 sp (diagram shows one block), ch 5, sc in ch-5 sp, ch 5, then skip 3 edc, edc in next edc, foll chart across.  By skipping the 3 edc, it appears that the diamond is skewing to one side...shouldn't you ch 5, sc in ch-5 sp, ch 5, then make 3 edc's? 

Row 8:  Starts out with adding 5 blocks, one of which will be a space.  Got that.  So it's 2 blocks, space, 3 blocks, space, 2 blocks, then move to the X-Large Diamond pattern.  Again, that pattern starts out with "Foll chart to ch-5 sp (meaning you start out by crocheting one more block), ch 7, sc in ch-5 sp, sc in next sc, ch 7, skip next 3 edc, edc in next edc, foll chart across. 

I don't understand why on one side you make a block and then the other side you skip a block.  What am I missing?

Not Ranked
Posts 7
KanKnitKing wrote
on Jun 10, 2014 2:03 PM

I'm thoroughly confused with the X-large diamond (D).  I'm wondering if I'm missing something or is there an error in this pattern?

"Row 2:  Foll chart to ch-5 sp (the diagram above shows a block at the beginning of the row), ch 5, sc in ch-5 space, ch 5, sk next 3 edc, edc in next edc, foll chart across."

Why would you do a block on one side & then skip on the other side of the diamond?  What am I missing?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 428
Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 11, 2014 7:33 PM

You do want to skip that block on the right side. If you follow the chart to that ch-5 sp, that block is skipped. Make sense?

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 428
Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 11, 2014 7:36 PM

So it looks like you are forging ahead with it? There is  a bit of magic happening when you add stitches at the end of the row. I have directions from Kathy White and will post them as soon as I can get to my computer. 

Not Ranked
Posts 7
KanKnitKing wrote
on Jun 11, 2014 7:41 PM

Yes, I am forging ahead - I'm struggling with the Nook's small screen and having to flip back & forth, but I have several projects going on and am afraid I won't be able to keep up if I start out behind!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
KanKnitKing wrote
on Jun 11, 2014 7:42 PM

Thanks, I'm not sure what I was doing wrong, but I did find someone on Ravelry who is working this pattern and was able to follow her photo.  I'm just now finished with row 13.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 428
Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 11, 2014 7:47 PM

Oh, perfect! If you're on Row 13, you don't need the tip. I figured it out before asking Kathy, but I'll post her note later. I will warn you: it's very hard to put this project down! You'll be all squinty-eyed and hand crampy, but compelled to do another row!  I used a medley of sticky notes and arrows, but I was working on paper. Enjoy!

Not Ranked
Posts 1
mscocoface wrote
on Jun 11, 2014 9:18 PM

I have been doing my best not to even look at this pattern BUT I CAN'T HELP MYSELF!!!  I have to at least attempt to try this, I can't help myself the only thing that gives me pause are those 1700 beads.  Yeesh! LOL

Not Ranked
Posts 7
KanKnitKing wrote
on Jun 11, 2014 10:28 PM

Just be sure to schedule yourself an eye dr. appt. for August!  I haven't done thread crocheting in SO long...my eyes are begging for mercy!

Not Ranked
Posts 7
KanKnitKing wrote
on Jun 13, 2014 12:53 PM

So sorry to say this, but I am dropping out of this CAL.  It's a beautiful piece and I'm sure those of you who do complete it will enjoy it, but it's just too hard on my eyes.  I believe my days of doing thread crochet are over.  :(

Brenda

Not Ranked
Posts 10
RuthT@18 wrote
on Jun 16, 2014 10:31 AM

Just received my supplies on Saturday and got started yesterday. VERY addicting! Hoping to catch up to where I need to be tonight.

Top 10 Contributor
Posts 428
Marcy Smith wrote
on Jun 27, 2014 4:14 PM

Brenda! Sorry to see you go. Actually, I thought my days of thread crochet were over before I started this shawl. But something compelled me. We'll be here if you pick it up again!

Marcy

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2  Next > | RSS